Friday 16 December 2016

These Zamberlan boots were made to fall apart


I don't know what it is about modern materials, but they ain't like they used to be.
A few months ago, my leather Zamberlan boots fell apart. The sole just fell off, revealing a crumbling inner core.  It turns out the sole/core is polyurethane/EVA and the cheaper the boots, the worse the life. Whilst I could get the leather parts removed and a new sole glued on, I've just decided to change brands. Annoyingly, the summer boots I bought in the USA for about €10 over 15 years ago have also failed on the sole. They just sell junk there (in case you are an American reading this, that bit is ironic. Just that bit you understand)
I've gone for a synthetic mountain high boot, 4 hour water proof, semi flexible. Quechua (own) brand for €69.  The branded ones wanted twice the money and then more if I wanted the convenience of dry feet. Didn't see any leather boots. Prices went to €180.
Whilst taking off my trainers (well, light hiking shoes) I noticed the heal is coming away from the outer.  I really splashed out on the cheapest pair of similar shoes for a staggering €13.

No comments:

Post a Comment