Sunday 3 July 2022

Oil filter removal

Today should have been a simple oil change on 2 bikes. Both maintained by Yamaha. Both had drain plugs so tight I needed a 45cm bar to loosen them (45Nm to tighten, normally) Both had oil filter so tight I used a 45cm pipe wrench not only to start it, but for the first complete turn ffs. Sadly one bike couldn't accommodate the wrench, so I had to resort to YouTube. No luck there,  just lots of people suggesting putting a screwdriver through.  I know that doesn't work as I tried it 30 years ago. The screwdriver just rips a large slot.

I have a chain wrench with a handle, but the teeth just went straight through the side. I tried a bit of wood to spread the load, but then it wouldn't grip. I was going to try a piece of rubber when I thought about a rubber strap wrench. Wetting it gave grip, but not enough. 

The final solution came from a post were someone suggested a piece of sand paper under the band of a strap wrench.  I don't have a strap wrench,  but I've got jubilee clips. With that assembled, I could get the 45cm pipe wrench on the bit that sticks up and off it came. As it was also on stupid tight I had to keep moving the strap back for a full 2 turns, then I could just loosen it by hand.

I also sprayed some WD40 around the seal and left it 15 mins, but I'm not convinced it made any difference. 

I'm picking up a strap wrench this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment