Monday 11 November 2019

Gate motor

The RH gate motor has always been a bit weaker than the other, and usually requires a service before winter to ensure it runs properly when the temperature drops.
I'm pretty sure the motor itself is shot. It's not possible to fully strip it, as there is a cog on the output shaft which can't be removed. I'm told it's either cryo fitted or glued. I can't risk damaging it as there are no spares for the SCS 2 ram (verin). The best I've managed is access to the commutator which I thoroughly scraped, cleaned and leveled. The gaps between poles are full again, but it runs ok with the 2 supplementary gearboxes removed. I found the first box a bit stiff; it seemed to have too much black (molybdenum?) from the next box and not the green stuff which had dropped out the bottom. A clean and re-grease with surplus grease made it feel a bit better.
A few months ago I dropped a tree on the gate motor. A big tree. The motor had been a bit worse and when I finally took a closer look, all 3 rods that run the length were bent, and, worse, the end caps had fallen apart. This meant that hold the whole thing was flapping about a bit.
The rods straightened quite easily, and the end caps are back in place, but still in pieces. A few stainless washer stop the rods from pulling through the caps.
Off load running current in is 1.1-1.2A, out is 1.2-1.3A. I think this is a bit high, but normal for this motor.
I think I was conned when I bought this off ebay. The electronics are dated 2007, but the motors are dated 1998. The part number (3j3712 johnson) gives nothing. I think it's a HC785LP-025 42mm diameter https://www.johnsonelectric.com/en/product-technology/motion/dc-motors/industry-dc-motors.  Datasheet readily available.



No comments:

Post a Comment