Saturday 28 May 2016

Oregon tap & go 539137

My Stihl strimmer has a fixed feed line, which is ok except when you're working a lot of edging. Then it's tiring stopping to unscrew the bolt and let some more line out.
I've had a number of Oregon products and found them good. Mainly safety gear, but the odd chain.
I found the tap & go product which is suitable 'for most' strimmers above 33cc. So I bought one.  Nice product.  To re-fill it, you simply feed it through the holes and turn the dail to load the line in. Great. 
The on-line instructions and video make it clear that it will only work with  20mm spigot, which I have. So I open it up and lo, its a 25mm hole with a reducing ring. Sigh. So I fit it and it is so off centre, the whole strimmer vibrates violently; it is painful to hold the controls. I take it all apart and try to re-centre it. The reducing ring is about 0.4mm different diameter to the hole in the product, so no matter how carefully you install it, it will always be off. The ring is also thicker than the product, so if you have a flat washer with your strimmer (as shown in the video), it won't hold the base in place and it'll wobble.
I've asked Oregon to send me a replacement.
Oregon wanted very much to help, but this involved me travelling 2 hours to my nearest dealer. In the end I got a full refund of Amazon, who didn't want it returned.
So with nothing to lose, I made an accurate 20mm hole in a large washer, which I tacked into position with a run-out of 0.3mm. It was a bit better. A friend suggested balancing the head on a marble and adding weights to get it level. Pretty tricky (read impossible) but I think I found the balance point, so added 2 M5 bolts with blu-tack. There wasn't really enough space to fit them, but it was a test. They flew straight off. I noted the the large alu button that comes with the head is held on with 2 bolts, which don't appear to be balanced up.
Abandoned project! Off to get a Stihl 46-2

No comments:

Post a Comment