Thursday 28 August 2014

New car battery

Whilst I hadn't had any particular battery problems (the car whinges about low battery if the doors are opened too much, but I think this is normal...), a friend had mentioned he thought the turn over in February was a bit slow.  It turns out the battery is the original, date stamped March 2007.  That makes it a good 7.5 years old.  A varta 400/640, which is probably 50Ah, as specified on the car battery cover.  Sites differed on opinion of the replacement type being either a 60 or 70Ah.  Now, I'm not known for being cynical, but if you get recommended a bigger battery, doesn't it cost more? So I settled on a 60Ah, a Varta again, for around £50 delivered, 4 year warranty (blue dynamic).  Just as well I got the Varta, as the battery cover has to be plugged into a tube running outside the cabin.  And the plug fitted the Varta cover just fine.

I tested the old battery.  I charged it up and it read 12.4 volts the next day after a rest period.  With a 7A load (a lamp) it dropped to 12V immediately, and over the next 4 hours dropped to 11.41V  During hour 5 it went to 7.2V  This makes its capacity around 30Ah, but presumably its CCA is well down.

No comments:

Post a Comment